Countdown to the Annual Meeting

American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of Agronomy, Canadian Society of Agronomy      Register Now



International Travel

Baltimore, Maryland is the location of the 2018 International Annual Meeting. Make plans to join us! The official language of the Annual Meeting is English.

Travel to the United States

Most travelers to the United States must hold a valid visa and a passport that is valid six months longer than the intended visit. Please visit the International Visitors Office to determine if you require a travel visa to attend the Annual Meetings.

Visa Waiver Program
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of 36 participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business (visitor [B] visa purposes only) for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.  However, if you will receive any compensation for your services or activities (i.e. lectures, presentations, etc.), you may need to apply for a visa.  Currently, 36 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program, as shown below:

Andorra Denmark Hungary Liechtenstein   New Zealand Slovenia
Australia Estonia Iceland Lithuania Norway South Korea
Austria Finland Ireland Luxembourg Portugal Spain
Belgium France Italy Malta San Marino Sweden
Brunei Germany Japan Monaco Singapore Switzerland
Czech Republic Greece Latvia The Netherlands Slovakia United Kingdom


In accordance with the Court Order on Presidential Proclamation on Visas (November 13, 2017) , nationals of Chad, Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, and Yemen who do not have a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States do not qualify for a Visa to enter the Uninted States.

Visa Process
If you require a visa, please recognize that the visa application process may take several months. An interview appointment is required for a visa application at all embassies and consulates.The wait time for this appointment varies, but may be as long as three months, with processing taking an additional month or more. The wait time for visa applications is available on the State Department's Website. You should begin this process as soon as you make the decision to attend the Annual Meetings.

Letter of Intended Participation

Request a Letter of Intended Participation.

Experiencing a Delay in Travel Visa Processing?
The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) has developed a page on its website to collect detailed information about international scientists experiencing significant visa delays. This could prove useful to scientists still trying to cope with the many changes in protocol brought on by the SEVIS student-tracking system and the enhanced security of the US VISIT program. Visa applications that are delayed by more than 60 days will be reported to the State Department. Please visit the NAS web site at

Crossing the Border: Documents needed

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
All persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air or land between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America,
the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport. 
For more information, see the State Department and Homeland Security's travel requirements. 

Visa Waiver Program (VWP)
In order to travel without a visa on the VWP, you must have authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a U.S. bound air or sea carrier. Visit the ESTA webpage on the CBP website for more information.

US-VISIT Program
The United States has made some important changes to the US-VISIT program, which was instituted in 2004. The program now requires most foreign visitors to have fingerprints of all ten fingers and a digital photograph taken to verify their identity at the consulate as well as the port of entry.  A departure confirmation program, as part of US-VISIT, is also now currently in place. This program applies to all visitors, including those from visa waiver countries.


AM 18 sponsors 790x370.jpg